This morning I was wondering whether we’d see any cool new stuff announced at the PASS BA Conference this year, or whether we’d see the same old Power BI demos yet again. It turns out there were a whole load of announcements, some of them very cool indeed – and here’s a brief summary:
- A native Power BI mobile for iOS will be available by the end of the summer. Other platforms (which means Android I guess) will come soon after that.
- SSRS will be available in Power BI sites and will be able to connect back to on-prem data sources. This is big, in my opinion – it will be very attractive for a lot of existing MS BI customers. Also the way to get SSRS reports on mobile?
- Power View in Power BI will be able to connect back to SSAS on premises (just Tabular though, or Multidimensional too?)
- A new KPI editor in the Power BI site will allow you not only create KPIs but arrange them to create dashboards. This looks like the replacement for PerformancePoint.
- Time series forecasting is available in Power View online now. It’s available in charts and you just forecast by dragging the chart forward; outliers can be corrected easily. Will need to check this out later.
- Power View is getting a treemap visualisation.
- Power View is getting a new Data Exploration mode that allows you to edit reports in the browser. This has a lot of cool new stuff, such as the ability to drag data points out of existing charts to create new charts.
Lots to follow up on there… more blog posts on this coming soon, I promise!