I’ve finally got round to organising a two-day public MDX course, to be held in the UK, in central London on the 12th and 13th of May. It’s the standard ‘Introduction to MDX’ course that I’ve been teaching for several years now as a private course (indeed I’ve given it five or six times already this year) and aims to take you from the point of being a complete beginner with no previous knowledge of MDX up to the point where you can write 90% of the MDX calculations and queries you’ll ever need to write.
Here’s the agenda:
- What is MDX and why should I use it?
- Understanding the structure of a cube: recognizing cubes, measure groups, dimensions and hierarchies
- Understanding the concepts of members, tuples and sets
- Writing simple queries: using SQL Management studio to write SELECT statements
- Creating simple calculated members: when to use query, session and cube-scoped calculations, using simple MDX expressions and functions
- Standard Calculations: looking at the best ways to implement common calculations, such as time series, market shares and rankings
- Using set functions: using common MDX functions such as Crossjoin, Filter, Order, Generate to create more complex queries
- Advanced concepts: autoexists, solve order and subselects
- MDX Script Assignments: making scoped assignments, understanding how assignments affect aggregation, using assignments with calculated members
The cost is £499 plus VAT, including lunch and drinks/snacks. There will be some practical exercises but to do them you’ll need to bring your own laptop with SSAS and Adventure Works on – I’m not providing any PCs.
Here’s the link to register:
UPDATE I’m running the same course on October 26th-28th 2011 in London:
UPDATE #2 – I’m now running all my public MDX and SSAS training courses through my new company, Technitrain. Check out the website for more details: